Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Power Movements and Power Burgers

Tuesdays are usually my biggest workout day of the week. It's when I like to do all my heavy lifting and really hit every major muscle.

Why Tuesday?

Most people do their Monday, Wednesday, Friday weight routines, and then switch to cardio on their off days. Even if they don't, the benches are usually open at the gyms I visit, because that M, W, F routine is their chest day. So on Tuesdays, most gym-goers are on their back or leg routine. With any luck, half of my needed equipment is open.

I like to lift ultra heavy one day a week and really push my limits. This builds strength no matter what phase of workout I am in, and if I'm in a rut, it tends to break me out of it. This also prevents burnout and boredom from interfering with my normal routine.


Today's workout goes something like this:
  • Incline Dumbbell Chest Press
  • Squats
  • Flat Dumbbell Chest Press
  • Straight-Leg Deadlifts
  • Lat Pull Downs
  • Hamstring curls
  • T-Bar Rows
  • Calf Presses
  • Single arm Bent-over rows (lawn mowers)
If you are unfamiliar with any of the above-mentioned workouts, I recommend Arnold Schwarzenegger's The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding (just don't look at any of the Lee Priest pictures). The book is really great for beginners and pros alike, and it's an interesting read. For shits and giggles, I weighed the book and found it to be just over 6 pounds, which would make it the Ah-nold in a sea of girly-man books.

After that workout, I'll feel pretty pumped up, but if I'm not maxed out, I'll finish up the routine with a three workout rotation of push-ups, pull-ups, and lunges. I'll keep doing the rotation until exhaustion.

By this time, I'm ready for some fuel, and I'll usually chug a light protein shake, just to get a little protein, but mainly to help rehydrate, and then I'll cook dinner.


After a good workout like that, I like to treat myself to some good protein and some great vegetables. For this I pull my recipe from Gregg Avedon's Muscle Chow, and a personal favorite recipe of mine, the "Power Burger." It is easy to make and relatively fast once you get the hang of it.

Power Burgers

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 tbs Sunflower seeds
  • 1 tbs finely chopped onion
  • 1 tbs finely chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 cup toasted wheat germ
  • 4 whole grain burger buns
  • And, whatever toppings you need for the burgers, lettuce tomato, cheese, etc.
Step 1: Preheat a grill or skillet to medium-low
Step 2: Place the ground beef in a large mixing bowl, and add all the ingredients except the wheat germ and buns. Knead with your hands until everything is well mixed.
Step 3: Form into 4 patties. Roll the patties in the wheat germ until they're covered.

Step 4: Grill or pan-fry for 8 to 10 minutes for medium or 14 to 18 minutes for well-done.

Step 5: Place each burger on a bun. Top the burger with your toppings.


Makes 4 servings.


I'll usually add on some Vegetable-packed Israeli Couscous and another vegetable like Baked Asparagus, both found in the Muscle Chow cook book, and packed with nutrients and muscle building enzymes.


After a huge workout and a feast like this one, I'm usually revitalized both mentally and physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment